Chana masala is the soothing remedy as the weather cools off. We remember as kids, walking into the house and smelling the scent of spices wafting into our nose knowing that our Mom had whipped up something homemade and made with love. It’s soothing to know you are about to fill your belly with comfort food isn’t it? Our Punjabi friends like to soak up the tangy, spice laden chickpea juice with massive, freshly-fried bhaturas and crunch on a few raw onions on the side. (Is your mouth watering yet because ours definitely is.) There are so many tasty variations of this chana masala recipe, but we added a few extra veggies to make it a tad healthier and add a major punch of extra flavour.
Makes enough for two people.
- One large can of chickpeas
- One onion
- One tomato
- One green bell pepper
- One green chili pepper
- One teaspoon of grated ginger
- Chicken tikka masala
- Avocado oil
- Chana masala
- Red chili powder
- Dice the onion, tomato and green pepper, keeping each separate
- Add some avocado oil to a pan and toss in the onions
- Once the onions are soft, add the green bell pepper, ginger and green chili
- Add the chicken tikka masala, chana masala, salt, haldi and red chili powder
- Add the tomato
- Rinse the chickpeas and toss them into the pan, adding enough water to just barely cover the chickpeas
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about ten minutes until the chickpeas soften
- Remove the lid and cook for another five minutes
We suggest serving this with rice and raita which can be made by shredding cucumber and adding to yogurt, chopped cilantro, cumin/coriander powder and some black salt.